Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flying Pig Marathon is this weekend!



I am going to accomplish one of my New Year’s Resolutions this weekend… to run a relay in the Flying Pig Marathon. I am excited and scared! I am running leg three of the race which happens to be longest at 7.67 miles. I haven’t run that long since the Country Music Half Marathon in 2006. A few months ago I ran four miles in a row on the treadmill but since then I have just been running 3 miles here and there outside. I was going to run five miles this past weekend when we were in Nashville, but it was raining. So this morning I went to the gym and did 5.6 miles in intervals on the treadmill. It took me 65 minutes. I walked 2 minutes, ran 2 minutes until 30 minutes in. Then I switched to run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes. After doing that I ran for 8 minutes straight with the first 3 minutes at 6.1mph, the next 3 minutes at 7.0mph, and the final two at 6.1mph again. Then I ran 2 minutes, walked 2 minutes until I got to one hour and cooled down the last five minutes.

I wore heels to work today and my knees were pretty uncomfortable. I fortunately left a pair of black flats under my desk for emergencies so I am now wearing those – they are much more comfy! I will have to switch back into heels for my meeting with three marketing directors this afternoon, but I’ll be comfortable until then.

Please send good vibes my way this Sunday morning. Not only will I be running my longest run in four years, but it is expected to rain all morning, too. Fortunately my leg of the relay goes right by my street so I’ll have Dave ready with dry socks for me just in case! You can track my progress (if you are at all interested) by getting text or email updates. Go to flyingpigmarathon.com and go to Track Athletes. Fun! I am tracking Dave Heng, the guy who is leg 2, so I know when he’s getting close to me.

Here’s to a successful run!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I would track you but I am pretty sure I will still be sleeping! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't need your athlete # to track? I'll try to set it up today to share your fun. I can't wait to hear about your experience. Sorry about the rain - hope it's a warm one. This is so exciting. Run, Merritt, run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm set up to follow you! Good luck - you are awesome! And, if you want to bring your running shoes with you to Dallas, I'll go running with you! Not 10 miles, I promise.

    ReplyDelete