Sunday, August 8, 2010

Turning Down the Hostess Offer

Tomorrow I have to get back to Hostess about their offer, and I am 99.9% sure I am turning the offer down. It feels weird to do that, but it also doesn't feel right to accept it. I haven't felt energized by this job the entire time. Dave and I talked about it (again!) today, and he mentioned advice he got from someone he worked with long ago. The guy told him you can have your entire life in order: a great family, a great home, great friends, but it doesn't matter if you hate your job. Hating your job can make you miserable with your family, at home and with your friends. And I really don't want to go from a job I love to a job I am not excited about even if that means moving to Dallas. It's a decent offer - especially the relocation benefits - but it's just not good enough. So now I need to think about how I'm going to turn them down. It hurts my stomach a little bit, but I know I am making the right decision. Man, this is tough!

4 comments:

  1. That was so sad. My heart was beating through my chest. I think I did the right thing, but I feel so bad! I told the guy it just wasn't going to be a good fit for what I was looking for in my next role. But mostly I let him know I was not accepting because I didn't think I could learn a lot from the woman who would have been my boss. He had heard it before, which is unfortunate. I plean to write a thank you to both Corey (the HR/talent acquisition guy) and Stephany (the VP - who would have been my boss's boss). They were both great, and I think Stephany would have been amazing. Again... everything happens for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting some updates. Sorry to hear that particular position wasn't what you wanted, but good job on having the cojones to turn it down and wait for something better. Hopefully you'll still end up in Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it was the right decision! I'm proud of you for having the guts to decide and act upon what you felt was right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a good, but difficult, decision. I was so miserable with Mark Robertson and company that the rest of my life went in the crapper too. Just keep looking for the right place which should show up soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete